Throughout the Middle Ages, Perušić is mentioned under the name Buška Vrhovina, part of the Bužani parish, mentioned by Konstantin VII. Porfirogenet in the work on "Empowering the Empire". Soon after, there is familly Frankopan who build a fortified castle in the 11th century. It will later become the most famous symbol of this place, which will be the gift of the brigadier General Anž Frankopan to the family of Perušić, the first rulers of Perušić town. Then there are a turbulent years in which the Ottoman army conquered this area and ruled it for 160 years, until 1696 when the Turkish army left the fort, and the population that remains in their homes was baptized by priest Marko Mesić. The place then became part of the Vojna Krajina in 1712 until its dissolution in the second half of the 19th century when it became part of Banska Hrvatska.
Old town Perušić / Turkish tower / Gradina, all these are names for the old castle, that is, for its remains. Over the centuries, it was briefly home to the nobleman family named Perusic, a little more it was defensive fortress of the Ottoman army, and by the end of the 17th century it started to decay, while gradually underneathit started to rise the place that exists today.
The Church of the Exaltation of St. cross is a rich medieval late gothic church dating back to the 13th and 14th centuries, which during the Ottoman period was converted into a mosque. After the liberation of this area, it was rebuilt in the Catholic church, decorated in late baroque and rococo style, and the stone inscription above the entrance door tells In hoc signo vinces, which means In this sign you will win, which is interpreted as the victory of the cross over the crescent moon.