Old town Perušić
In the protected landscape, Old town Perušić is located. Formerly known as Vrhovine and ruled by the Frankopan family, it was first mentioned in 1071. It was gifted in 1487. to it's new owners - brothers Perušić, which renamed the settlement to it's modern day name.
During the Ottoman occupation (until 1696) Perušić was important Turkish post because of it's location and closeness to the Habsburg monarchy and the Republic of Venice. After the priest Marko Mesić freed regions of Lika and Krbava, the Turkish inhabitants were baptised. Their decendants still live in Perušić.
Old town Perušić, also known as Gradina or Turska kula, is the most famous symbol of Perušić Municipality.
The Old town is currently in the process of restauration because it used to have three more defensive towers and fortified walls - only the ruins exist today.